Hopping into the pool on a hot sunny day is a beloved summer activity for both kids and adults. We wanted to remind pool owners of electrical dangers around water, noting that water and electricity do not mix.
When using the pool this summer, avoid electric shock by using battery-operated appliances or waterproof covers for items near the pool when possible.
If someone in the pool feels electricity -- almost like a stinging feeling – or appears to have been shocked, do not touch this person. You could be shocked, too. Instead, switch off the power and use a non-metal shepherd's hook to pull him or her out of the water to safety. Electrical shock can cause paralysis, and the victim will need assistance immediately.
When using long-handled pool cleaning equipment, always look up and around to make sure there are no low-hanging power lines connected to a home or pool house nearby.
Avoid running electric appliances with extension cords out to where you are sunbathing/swimming. They present both a shock and trip hazard.
If you see or hear thunder, you should get out of the water right away. Even if a storm looks like it's miles away, lightning can pop up anywhere as the storm gets closer or changes directions. Lightning regularly strikes water, and since water conducts electricity, a nearby lightning strike could harm or even kill you.
Staying safe while near the water is simple, but these tips can be easily forgotten. Create a checklist for your family and friends to review periodically during the summer.